Funding Your Graduate Education

Pursuing a graduate degree is an important decision, and we want you to know that cost does not have to be a barrier to your success. Your plans to pay for graduate school may include fellowships, assistantships, scholarships, grant funds, student loans or student employment. The resources below are here to help you explore your options.

Financial Aid and Loans

Financial Aid makes it possible for thousands of students to attend UNT. Learn the basics of financial aid, including eligibility, financial need determination, and how to apply using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

We encourage all UNT students to complete the FAFSA each year to ensure they are prepared to utilize potential Federal program eligibility. To be considered for financial aid, the FAFSA application must be submitted each year and is available starting October 1 for the following year. Early application annually ensures the best opportunity to compete for available funding.

Priority Deadline: Submit FAFSA by March 15 for fall/spring semesters.

Effective Fall 2012, graduate and professional students are no longer eligible to receive subsidized loans.

To find averages on borrowed amounts, reported salaries and estimates of loan repayments, visit GradSense.

Emergency Loans

There are several emergency loans offered across campus that are intended to help students remain enrolled. These loans typically require repayment within the same semester.

Learn more about the Student Accounting office's Short-Term Loans or the Student Money Management Center's Memorial Loan programs.

Fellowships and Scholarships

The Toulouse Graduate School offers a limited amount of fellowships and scholarships. These range from $500 a semester to $33,000 a year, including health benefits.

Learn more about graduate awards.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Assistantships are available on a limited basis in most graduate programs. These positions provide funds for many master’s and doctoral students. Each department or program has its own requirements and expectations for assistants and fellows.

Learn more about assistantships.

Student Employment

As a student at UNT, you are eligible to apply to on-campus, hourly student positions through the Career Center. Many of these positions are College Work Study eligible.

Learn more about student employment.

International Students

International students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid (applied for through the FAFSA). However, you may apply for UNT-International Admissions scholarships and grants, as well as teaching and research assistantships, and any of the scholarships or fellowships offered through the Toulouse Graduate School.

Veterans Services

As a military service member or veteran, you can use your GI Bill or Hazlewood benefits to help pay for college expenses.

Learn more about Veteran's Services and benefits.