Understanding your Health Insurance Options

Graduate students in half-time, benefits eligible assistantship positions have several options for their health insurance needs:

  • Coverage under a parent’s policy, if under 26 years old
  • Enrollment into the student health insurance plan
  • Enrollment into the state employee insurance plan
  • Private health insurance through the marketplace (healthcare.gov)

Student Health Insurance Policy

The student health policy is a standard medical insurance policy that meets all current Affordable Care Act requirements. It is provided by United Healthcare Student Resources. The most recent rates are posted on the site's documents page under "YEAR-1" and "YEAR-4" summary brochure. The rates listed are for medical coverage for both domestic and international students. Dental and vision coverage can be found in the same summary brochure and may be purchased separately from the healthcare provider.

The Medical Service Fee, charged to every student account, only allows the student access to the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) for basic consultations and examinations. If the student must have labs, x-rays or procedures performed, there would be some discounted charges. With the student insurance policy, the majority of these procedures performed at the SHWC would be covered at 100%, with the doctor’s order. Students who do not have the student insurance policy would pay for all charges. The SHWC only files insurance claims for the student policy. Students may also use providers outside of the SHWC, and any eligible dependents must use providers outside of the SHWC. There is a $400 deductible for in network services and $600 for out of network services for the policy period, then the insurance will pay 80%. The pharmacy has a co-pay of either $10 or $35 based on brand or generic. All co-pays go towards the deductible, and the maximum out-of-pocket expenses in each policy period are $6,350.

International Students

International students must have adequate health insurance coverage continuously during UNT residence. UNT residence is defined as that continuous period from initial orientation and enrollment or employment, including holidays, through graduation or final separation from the university. All international students are charged an International Insurance Fee every semester of enrollment, which pays for and enrolls the students in the student insurance policy. International students do not need to do anything else to enroll in the student policy, although they may add a spouse and/or dependents onto the student insurance policy at the Student Health and Wellness Center.

International students may waiver out of the University endorsed student insurance policy in only three instances:

  • An international student has employment insurance through a U.S. employer group policy.
  • An international student has a government sponsored plan.
  • An international student has coverage through the employment of a parent or relative through a U.S. employer group

Waivers are handled through the Student Health and Wellness Center and must be processed before the 12th class day of each long semester, or the 4th class day of the summer semester.

State Employee Insurance Plan

Graduate student employees must enroll themselves and any dependents in the medical plan during the first 60 days of employment, and must enroll in the optional benefits (dental, term life insurance, etc.) during the first 31 days of employment. If the 31-day deadline or the 60-day deadline is missed, employees must wait until the next Annual Enrollment period, or may enroll if they experience a qualifying life event such as marriage, divorce, birth of child, etc. Students wishing to drop this plan will also do so during Annual Enrollment.

Changing Your Policy

Students currently under the state employee plan who wish to switch to the student insurance plan (or another, private plan), will need to de-enroll in the state employee plan during Annual Enrollment. Annual Enrollment for 2017-2018 is TBD at this time. Students will then need to enroll in the student insurance plan through the Student Health and Wellness Center. Benefits Eligible Positions Students in the following positions working at least 20 hours per week are considered benefits-eligible. If you are unsure of your position title or code, please contact your academic department.

Teaching Fellow (TF): Job Codes 0801, 0802, 0803

Teaching Assistant (TA): Job Codes 0811, 0812, 0813

Research Assistant (RA) : Job Codes 0821, 0822, 0823; or 0841, 0842, 0843

Graduate Services Assistant (GSA): Job Codes 0831, 0832, 0833; or 0851, 0852, 0853

Need Assistance?

Contact the Student Health and Wellness Center for questions regarding the student insurance plan and for international student insurance information at 940-369-8543. http://studentaffairs.unt.edu/billing-insurance

Contact the Human Resources team for questions regarding employee benefits, including enrollment and de-enrollment, at 1-855-878-7650. https://hr.untsystem.edu/benefits


Still have questions regarding the health insurance benefit changes?

Please see this video https://www.youtube.com/embed/e0Ed3fugLjk