A crowning achievement
A doctoral degree is the ultimate recognition of learning. A University of North Texas doctoral degree will open doors and provide opportunities enjoyed by few people. As the largest, most comprehensive university in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, UNT leads the way to your goals.
College of Business
- Business - Ph.D.
- Business Information Assurance
- Information Systems
- Logistics Systems
- Management Science
College of Education
- Counseling - Ph.D.
- Curriculum and Instruction - Ph.D.
- Curriculum Studies
- Early Childhood Studies
- Language and Literacy Studies
- Educational Leadership - Ed.D., Ph.D.
- Educational Psychology - Ph.D.
- Gifted and Talented
- Human Development and Family Studies
- Psychological Aspects of Sport and Exercise
- Research, Measurement and Statistics
- Sport Pedagogy
- Higher Education - Ed.D., Ph.D.
- Special Education - Ph.D.
- Autism Intervention
- Emotional/Behavioral Disorders
- Mild/Moderate Disabilities
College of Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering - Ph.D.
- Electrical Engineering - Ph.D.
- Materials Science and Engineering - Ph.D.
- Mechanical and Energy Engineering - Ph.D.
College of Health and Public Service
College of Information
- Applied Technology and Performance Improvement - Ph.D.
- Information Science - Ph.D.
- Consumer Behavior and Experience Management
- Data Science
- Learning Technologies - Ph.D.
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- English - Ph.D.
- Creative Writing
- European History
- Military History
- U.S. History
- Political Science - Ph.D.
- Behavioral Science - Ph.D.
- Clinical Health Psychology - Ph.D.
- Clinical Psychology - Ph.D.
- Counseling Psychology - Ph.D.
- Sociology - Ph.D.
College of Music
- Music - Ph.D.
- Composition – Computer Music and Media
- Music Theory
- Music Education - Ph.D.
- Performance - D.M.A.
- Jazz Studies
College of Science
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - Ph.D.
- Biology - Ph.D.
- Exercise Physiology
- Chemistry - Ph.D.
- Environmental Science - Ph.D.
- Ecology and Conservation Biology
- Human Ecology
- Science Education Research
- Mathematics - Ph.D.
- Physics - Ph.D.
College of Visual Arts and Design
Pursue your dreams
Immense personal growth comes from earning the top recognition in higher education. A doctoral degree also will increase your career opportunities and your lifetime income.
“For years I had a very lofty goal to work for the World Bank, which assists developing countries. The Public Administration program impressed me, and within five years of choosing UNT I landed the job of my dreams.”
David Wachira, Ph.D.
2013 graduate, Public Administration
Hired by World Bank from a pool of 8,000 candidates
A doctorate is within your reach
The cost of education shouldn’t get in the way of the career you want. As a public university, UNT is affordable and provides many doctoral students with assistance — including nationally competitive packages for outstanding candidates.
The university offers more than 1,000 fellowships and assistantships each year. Our academic departments offer excellent scholarships, and the Toulouse Graduate School helps fund travel to national conferences.
Because of the opportunities available at UNT, our doctoral students and alumni are making their impact in a wide range of areas such as:
- Data science and biosurveillance
- Environmental education for children
- Equine assisted counseling
- Natural language processing
- Renewable and alternative clean energy
- The mariachi music tradition
An exceptional experience
UNT’s 1,800 doctoral students benefit from our excellent resources and supportive environment, resulting in a high-quality education. The research intensity of the university augments the graduate experience and fosters a close alignment between faculty and graduate students.
“UNT has faculty who are very excited about what they do and who are really invested in their students. I love that I’m able to interact with my advisor and other faculty members on a regular basis.”
Ph.D. student in Computer Science and Engineering
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship recipient
Outstanding faculty and research facilities
Many of our faculty members have been recognized for their teaching and scholarship by various scientific, educational and professional organizations. You can learn from National Academy of Engineering members, National Academy of Sciences members, Grammy Award winners and nominees, and Fulbright award winners, among others.
You also can conduct individual research or collaborate on research projects in any of our 44 research institutes and centers. Research opportunities extend beyond the campus with field stations as far away as the sub-Antarctic region of Chile and the sub-Arctic region of Alaska.
An extraordinary library system
University Libraries are the heart of learning and research at UNT. With cataloged holdings of 7 million print and digital items and the UNT Digital Library ranking among the top 30 world repositories and among the top 10 national repositories, the library offers millions of pages of historical and unique content to researchers and scholars around the world.
Dissertation and statistical support
The Toulouse Graduate School offers a Dissertation Boot Camp and other specialized workshops, many of which are available online for your convenience. The Graduate Student Writing Support office can help you with writing and the Office of Research Consulting offers assistance with statistical analyses.
Location, location, location
Our strategic location is the perfect place to be while earning your doctorate. The Dallas-Fort Worth area has one of the highest concentrations of Fortune 500 companies in the U.S. and is rich in job, cultural and learning opportunities. Denton, named “the best college town in Texas,” combines a family-friendly hometown feel with a vibrant music and arts scene. Enrolled students ride free on the bus system in Denton, making it easier to enjoy the many events and activities around town.