Employment Waiver Request

This page contains pdf documents.  You can download a free pdf reader here.

New! Effective Fall 2019, the Toulouse Graduate School will be posting Employment Waivers on behalf of TBP recipients. TBP recipients who have signed and submitted a TBP Agreement to their hiring department do not need to submit this form. For more information or additional questions, please refer to your hiring department.

The Employment Waiver grants eligible students in-state tuition when employed via assistantship at UNT. Non-resident and international graduate students should complete this form if they are employed as a TA/TF/RA/GSA. Texas residents, TBP recipients, and those already receiving a competitive scholarship waiver do not need to complete this form.

Employment Waiver Requests at a Glance

  • Employment Waivers grant domestic and international students employed via UNT assistantship with in-state Tuition.

  • Students with more than 99 doctoral hours are not eligible to receive an in-state tuition waiver.

  • If you are a Texas resident, you do not need to complete this form.

  • Students who receive a Competitive Scholarship Waiver (CSW) from the graduate school do not need to complete this form, as these waivers also grant eligible recipients in-state tuition.

  • Recipients of the following scholarships do not need to complete the employment waiver:

    • Academic Achievement Scholarship (AAS) only during the semesters the scholarship is in effect. 

    • TGS Externally Funded Doctoral Students Scholarship only during the semesters the scholarship is in effect. 

  • For information on Graduate Assistantships, click here.

Request Deadline

Employment Waiver Requests should be submitted to your employing department 2-3 weeks before the start of each semester to ensure your request is processed on time. 

Applicant Eligibility Criteria

To qualify for an Employment Waiver, you must be:

  • A domestic or international professor employed at least half-time (20 hours per week) by UNT or the UNT Health Science Center or

  • A domestic or international Teaching Assistant (TA), Teaching Fellow (TF), Research Assistant (RA), or Graduate Services Assistant (GSA) employed by UNT or the UNT Health Science Center at least half-time (20 hours per week).

  • Student/employee must sign the Employment Waiver Request Form and submit to the employing department for further approvals. Failure to submit this form will delay your employing department from submitting the employment waiver request on your behalf. 


  • Spouses and dependents of domestic & International UNT-employed students are also eligible to submit information for the employment waiver request. If the student is a spouse or dependent of a UNT faculty, staff or graduate employee, they will need to submit a copy of their marriage license. Non-UNT state employees are required to provide a letter from the HR department from the employing institution to verify eligibility for the waiver. For more information, visit Student Accounting's website.

  • Spouse/Dependent must sign the Employment Waiver Request Form for Spouses, Dependents & Non-UNT Employees and submit the request form in addition to the required documentation to gradaward@unt.edu

Employment Waiver Request Steps 

Step 1: Student/employee must complete the Employment Waiver Request Form and submit it to their employing department for further approvals and employment confirmation.  

Note: You must sign and submit this form to your employing department for your request to be considered. DO NOT submit this form to the Toulouse Graduate School as it cannot be processed without following step 2 from below. 

Step 2: Employing Department will submit the employment waiver request on the behalf of the employee through the Web Form and retain the signed Employment Waiver Request Form. Click here to access the web form and submit the request. The request must be submitted by the employing department, otherwise, it will be void. Physical forms will not be accepted. 

Note: Web Form submission confirms and assumes the student has read, understood and signed the Student and/or Employee Certification. 

Student/employee and employing department will receive an email notification once the submission has been received by TGS.  Allow 3-5 days for processing. 

Student and/or Employee Certification:

If this waiver is determined to be invalid based on the items specified in Section 54.211 or 54.212, I understand I am immediately liable for any difference in tuition costs. I further understand that failure to pay such additional amounts may result in the immediate withdrawal from the University.  I authorize the University to assign any unpaid tuition, fees and/or financial aid funds to a collection or credit reporting agency or agencies for the purpose of collecting the amount due, at the option of the University. I promise to pay all attorney’s fees and other reasonable collection costs and charges necessary for the collection of any amount not paid when due.

If you have a question that is not addressed in the information provided above, please email your name and UNT student ID number to gradaward@unt.edu