Federation of North Texas Area Universities

The Federation of North Texas Area Universities, established in 1968 with guidance from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, enables the sharing of resources between the University of North Texas at Denton (UNT), Texas Woman's University at Denton and Texas A&M University-Commerce. This special agreement allows students to expand their course offerings while receiving credit and paying tuition at UNT.

Any UNT graduate student admitted to a master's or doctoral degree program or pursuing certification may cross-register in graduate level courses at TWU or A&M-Commerce that are being used toward their current degree program. Students must have the approval of their department and verify that TWU and/or A&M-Commerce does not have restrictions on the course.

Students in select graduate programs at the 3 participating institutions may complete a portion of their graduate work at either or both of the other 2, although a single institution grants the degree. The University of North Texas grants the following degrees that participate in the Federation:

  • Biochemistry and Molecular Biology – Ph.D. 
  • Counseling Psychology – Ph.D. 
  • Interdisciplinary Studies - M.A./M.S.
  • Language and Literacy Studies – as a concentration under the Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction.
  • Literacy Education - as a specialization under the M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
  • Sociology – Ph.D.
  • Special Education – Ph.D.

In addition, 13 program committees have been formed to encourage cooperative activities between the participating universities.

Cross-Registering in a Federation Course:

Are you a UNT student interested in taking a course through the Federation? Please read through the additional information for UNT students for details, and then submit the form to enroll in a Federation Course.

If you are a TWU or A&M-Commerce student wishing to enroll at UNT through the Federation, please read the additional information for TWU or A&M-Commerce students and contact the appropriate Federation Representative to start the process.

Click here for the Cross-Registration FAQ.

In accordance with the rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, at least one-third of the semester credit hours required for any graduate degree must be completed in course work at UNT.